Replacer for sugar (sucrose) in snack seasoning

Hi,
I am working on sugar reduction or replacement of sucrose in snack seasoning. As we know sucrose is one of the major ingredient in snack seasoning, it’s quite challenging to reduce or replace it. How can we effectively replace this sugar or at least reduce it?

4 Likes

Hi,

Did you try polydextrose or inulin?

3 Likes

No, I haven’t. I am wondering if it is allowed in snack seasoning. However, I am using dextrose in small amount.

3 Likes

If you are open to artificial sweetener like aspartame, sucrralose etc.You can use it.Calculate the amount of sweetener based on sweetnesd value relative to sucrose and compensate the lost bulk with maltodextrin.

5 Likes

Depending on where you live you may be able to use Allulose. I find this to be the best 1 for 1 sugar substitute.

6 Likes

Thanks Roy for your advice.

3 Likes

Yes, I was thinking to try the same. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

@UfukAyyildiz

How have you been coping with polydextrose caking and forming lumps causing process downtime failure

2 Likes

Indeed polydextrose is a tacky material to handle due to hygroscopicity…

2 Likes

You can go for artificial sweeteners. You can also use brown sugar or jaggery powder instead of table sugar.

4 Likes

What about dates powder… why artificial when you can do natural

5 Likes

Nice suggestion, it should work

2 Likes

Other than the sweet taste, understand what other functional properties does the sugar impart in your seasoning ?

2 Likes

Hi there,

A quick update - aspartame (which was mentioned later in the thread) is being studied for generational anxiety and various other concerns. Here’s a link: Break Generational Anxiety Caused by Aspartame with Game-changing Sugar Substitute - TastesNatural

Have you tried any stevia based products? Curious to what you have found.
Best wishes.

2 Likes

There are several ways to reduce or replace sucrose in snack seasoning:

1. Sweetener blends: Blend natural low-calorie sweeteners like stevia or erythritol with small amounts of sucrose to reduce the overall sugar content in your seasoning.
  2. Sugar Alcohols: Substitute some of the sucrose with sugar alcohols like xylitol or maltitol, which are lower calorie sweeteners.
  3. Natural Sweeteners: Experiment with using natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup or fruit concentrates to add sweetness.
  4. Salt and Spices: Increase the amount of salt and spices in your seasoning to enhance flavor and decrease the need for sugar.
  5. Modify recipe: Revising the overall recipe to require less sugar can also be effective, such as reducing the amount of sugar used, or finding alternative ingredients that contribute to the desired flavor profile.

It’s important to keep in mind that replacing or reducing sugar in a recipe may require multiple iterations and taste testing to find the desired balance of sweetness, flavor and texture.

5 Likes

Thanks for this tip,
It is really helpful

1 Like