Plant based meat alternatives by cooking extrusion

I deleted my previous post because I tried to edit it but I could not.
As far as I have not received a reply from Rafael :slight_smile:, so I am directing my question to all.

Continuing the discussion from Plant based meat alternatives by cooking extrusion:

Hello everybody,
I would like to ask two questions:
First one is about “twin extruder screw configuration”. Screw configuration is an independent parameter and it is vital in developing plant-based meat analogues from pulse protein isolates.

From your point of view, what screw configuration works best with pulse protein isolates like soy and peas proteins?

Second, How far does the precondition of the protein isolate affect the development of a muscle like texture? I mean, in other words, Is it necessary to mix the protein powder with water before the extrusion? or it is okay to feed the powder with water directly into the extruder.

Kind regards,
Fawky

1 Like

Hello Xiaoqin,
Plant-based novel protein sources are mainly beans, grains, algae such as Spirulina and seeds like Hemp and pumpkin seeds. You have a breadth of choices in all previously mentioned categories. One of the neglected but novel types of beans that can give high quality textured extrudates is faba beans. See the attached photo for one of my trials.

Focusing on other varieties of beans rather than pea and soy will continue to be trendy. This because of the unsustainable aspects of soy and the high price of peas.

2 Likes

Guess you are the lucky researcher to have ‘extruder’ for meat analogue preparation. The cost of extruder being very high, you may have to wait to see if there is any hands-on user here who can suggest you on specific details. If otherwise you could try it out as it is available for you.
I am sure this is a hot topic / an ongoing work everywhere at the moment.

1 Like

Status of meat from Plant products,

1 Like