Natural biologic protection of Ready Meals

Dears.

Wondering if anyone here is able to suggest natural bioprotection methods for RTE and RTrH meals? Something that could go alongside MAP and temperature control but can extend the product’s shelf life.
I’d be happy to hear of natural ingredients (not artificial preservatives) that when added to food would not negatively affect its flavour or aroma.

Do you know/use anything what can suggest?

1 Like

I remember Chr Hansen

had such system for food products. How about giving them a call or an email for inquiries…?

2 Likes

I do not have any experince about that but i know spices have some effects on microorganisms.

Give a look at this point.

1 Like

Yes I have the same suggestion.
Chr Hansen have a lot to offer in that direction for commercial applications.

Thank you.
Regarding spices all that I know are worth consideration would have to be used in great % to have any effect what would significantly impact the flavour.
In terms Chr Hansen I got in touch with them during the workweek and awaiting reply with some details. Will update should they come back with anything worthwhile.
Regards

Have you tried any kind of coatings - depends on what is inside your RTE meal. Or any edible films that can be coated or dipped for additional shelf life extension.
Any studies did on The type of oil used for your product.
Can A small % of rosemary oil help?
Probably little little modifications might add up the shelf life of your product.

According to our external lab any amount of rosemary that could help was high enough to affect the flavour of dishes.
I’m intrigued by the coating and tbh not sure what you mean by that? Struggling to imagine coating of potato puree, steamed veg or beef goulash souce. Guess you might be thinking of some larger pieces? Any development or implementation documents that you could suggest to read about it?

Yes I meant for solid pieces, especially the bigger chunks present in the packet

A very good biotech protection is Lactic Acid derived from Fermentation and its salt Sodium Lactate. There are natural Acetic acid compositions , available from Corbian Purac, especially for the meats sauces. They have a Natural Arome N4 that keeps colour and gives Natural malliard reaction and shelf life protection.

In ready to eat meals etc FDA requires this protection against Listeria etc,but check your country legislation.

They have calcium Lactate salts that are natural for vegetables colour and vegetable firmness. These are natural salts.

Celery offers some protection and is part of Goulash seasoning profile. Maybe do a test for max celery without effecting and imbalance in seasoning profile.

1 Like

There is modern research around using Lemongrass oil in MAP film used, which can increase shelf life.Lemon grass is used in Asian stir fried meals.

A rosemary butter herb for potato dish would of been my approach for potato dish.

This is a very interesting topic. However, the original food in the Indian Subcontinent - India, Nepal, Bangaldesh, Bhutan, Srilanka and Pakistan is designed, prepared and plated in a way that it is made from such spices, and in such combinations and steps and stages that the entire food (in all aspects of the righteousness) is more medicinal and therapeutic. There were many instances where people started RTE meals during the lockdown preparing foods with their original recipes, and it stayed fresh long till it reached millions.
Anyway, more light on this can be thrown when we know what kind of RTE you wish to enterprise.
Regards,

2 Likes

Something not seemed to discuss is the storage condition of your RTE pack.
Is this currently stored in normal temp, or 1-5c fridge or is it under frozen conditions currently.
Any chance of bringing down the storage temp if it’s at ambient storage conditions - by doing so you will also increase the shelf life.
Another simple check to do is to continuously monitor the ph of this product and see how it’s causing the spoilage effect.

1 Like