Honey Spread

Hi Everybody
I am trying to develop Honey spread, and I am facing stability issue. I observe that the creamy texture is disturbed after I store it in room temperature, as long as it is in the refrigerator the stability is good.
I have been using sucrose ester and citrify in my trials.
Thanks in advance for the help.

What would be the ingredient composition of your honey spread.? What’s the HLB value of your sucrose esters and what is citrify?
When we get a clear understanding of your problem (from the additional information requested,) is only the time a possible solution can be proposed…

1 Like

I agree with @Roy , unless there is more information provided with composition, only can we reliably see the cause of your problem…

1 Like

vpadmapriya91
You message me about the nature of your honey spread.
In order for other members to pitch in their ideas and contribute as well I post my reply in the forum board.
Okey here’s my statement:
Your product is all syrup Honey spread .
It’s a mix of 10% honey with seeds and 100 processed or artificial honey ( is this really pure honey what’s the total solids in Brix)…?.
Then you emulsified it 0.3 sucrose esters with HLB value of 15( for oil in water emulsion)but as there is no fat in it the emulsifier can’t do its job properly.
If the seeds are intact and not broken up then fats in seeds are not released into the honey to contribute to an emulsion.
Now to stabilize the mixture you add citrus fiber at 1% as thickener .Now your concoction works under refrigeration probably due to the honey mixture is viscous in the cold environment but at ambient it become fluid ,If you insist in using sugar esters then :
The first solution is to whip in some melted fat like neutral ghee say at 2 % max to your mixture so the sucrose esters can use the fat in the formation of stable creamy emulsion.that will retain its creaminess at ambient conditions.
My second solution.
If you don’t want to use fat then adding little pectin 0.5 to 2 % ( the amount varies according to pectin strength) will help it gelling it up at ambient just like fruit jam. With this hydrocolloid you don’t need an emulsifier.

2 Likes

Hi @Roy
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. It was very helpful.
I am using raw litchi honey and raw rubber honey for the seeded process and used natural honey that is undergone processing !
The Brix of the processed honey comes to 76 brix and the Brix of the Honey Spread was 74 Brix.
Will using pectin affect the spread ability @Roy . I am trying to match the texture and spread ability closer to peanut butter.

Hi vpadmapriya91…
If you are trying to duplicate the texture of peanut butter, which is high in fat and nut solids (a fat based concoction) uses a different principle from.what you are doing.
If you specify syrup based spread ,it uses a different technique , you have use 80 to 82% Brix honey( about 85 to 90parts of it )
Then dissolve 0.10% to .15 %Gellan gum in 10 to 15 parts 20C water along 0.1% to 0.12% trisodium citrate .Mix it in high shear mixer then heat to boiling( 100C) to dissolve the gum properly.
The total mixture will be 100 units.or percent.
In a deep kettle ,Heat the honey to 75 C and mix in the boiling gum,/ citrate solution. Mix well until homogeneous.
Then pour the hot syrupy mixture into suitabke containers. This mixture well gradually gel on standing (upon cooling down )solving your fluidity problem.
All percentage values. are based on total product .
If your honey is mild or lack acidity adding little quantity of 15% citric solution( during the blending of liquids)will improve the taste of your spread making it fruity tasting.
If your honey is only 75%Brix then increasing the solids by adding sugar to reach at least 80 Brix would help.

2 Likes