Formulation

Guys i want to learn about formulation, and to make recipes from zero, you guys have something that i can read or if you know where to start learning. Thanks for your time.

2 Likes

ITS not as simple as you believe it its …

Formulation is not only a theoretical exercise ,but combination of theory and experiments and much more of the latter…

For me this is the requirement…

First you have to know how to cook either in the kitchen ,in the food lab or in production scale. You Have a good sensory understanding about food you are trying to formulate…You have sufficient dexterity in handling cookery ,lab and production equipment or tools so you can do the actual cooking / food processing yourself.

Second you understand ingredients ,meaning you had in depth knowledge about function of ingredient in a particular recipe or food formulation.

Third you understand the minimum and maximum levels of each ingredient that can fulfill the function in the intended cooked,prepared or manufactured food product.

Fourth you understand ingredient interactions how each component interacts with each other during the cooking and food processing. You have a molecular understanding how each ingredient fulfill the function during the cooking or food processing

Fifth you also had an understanding of costing, so you can select,substitute and fit ingredients that satisfies the customers economic requirements…

Sixth you should have strong food safety awareness…

Seven you should know about" dimensional analysis " or unit conversion of ingredients when you scale up or scale down your experiments…

It takes long time to be able to do it yourself. With confidence.To understand how a recipe works takes experience and a focused mind.
The simplest path to follow to get a grasp is apprenticeship or training from.a master or a skilled formulator of a particular line you are interested It will take years before you can acquire their skill …

5 Likes

I know that it want be easy but what I’m asking right now is where to start. What should i read or in what group should i join so i can start learning.

Reading does little to help you with it.
Anyway …Whats your educational background and what particular formulation interest you had in.mind ?
To get to know many formulas in theory you can read Food Products Formulary and old 4 volume Avi publishing books in the 1970s and the Chemical Formulary which are equally old books that are found in many university technical libraries…

1 Like

As a food technologist you must know what you want to formulate.

Ie Jam.

2 components Fruit with enough natural pectin and sugar.

You cook it up.

What do you need to do with it method wise and keep it preserved.

Think of other sugar products, fruit sauce, maybe add glucose to it, some Flavouring.

This build up of ingredients and method is formulation techniques. Your education should not fail you, or your inquisitive mind set to explore as Roy says in kitchen, work place Have fun whilst learning.

2 Likes

I am a student at university food technology (Ionian Islands Greece) i am in the last year. Anyway i want formulation for ice cream and sorbet.

There are many books about ice cream and frozen dessert preparation with recipes to guide you…
Even the web itself had it,
The books I.mentomed earlier had formulas for those products…
Please search it using the keywords of your interest…
It looks to me you are having issues differentiating a recipe from a formula…?
Well a simple expllanation will help make your life easier .:wink:

3 Likes

Wait…
If you want to formulate your own ice cream and sorbet, I just remembered now there was a software or an applet in the web…I forgot the link as i have visited it long ago…
Search using the keywords " Ice Cream Calculator "…
Maybe Google still have it .
Good Luck…!

1 Like

Thank you…