Titanium dioxide banned in Europe

Hi all,

As you know titanium dioxide banned in Europe and just six monts left to find new alternatives for manufacturers.

I think rest of world will force similar policies in the future.

What do you think about this ban and new alternatives?

4 Likes

There are studies that functions wheat starch can be made to replace it.

3 Likes

Please, if I may ask. What is the role of TITANIUM DIOXIDE in Food processing

1 Like

@Ogunleye_Dunsin
I give you a clue its a food colorant and " whitening agent…" Whatever what that words meant., I want you to do your own information search so you will.understand it better…

5 Likes

Likely not going to be banned in UK.

3 Likes

Whitening in candy for ex.

2 Likes

The first thing I thought about was corn starch, even rice starch can be utilised as replacement

2 Likes

It’s an inert bright white powder. In confectionary, we used to use it for things like white enrobing compound, melting wafers. Not only white stuff, but if you need brighter colours, adding TiO2 creates a whiter base and that makes colours pop.

For a lot of applications, you need inert and opaque. As soon as a starch is heated and there is any moisture, it gels and goes translucent. Also, if you heat the starch, it will brown - TiO2 won’t do that.

Do any of you have a suggestion on what can replace titanium white?

@KamilPL
if you only read and understood the whole thread you can learn something …

Nothing revealing about this topic has been presented. The question is, what other dye can you replace titanium white? Hint: starch is not a dye, but a thickener, and its technological function is to absorb water, not to dye. My product is a cheese analog. I just need to lighten the B2 colored product. Any suggestions?

Titanium dioxide is of nano particle size, thats enhances its whitening effect…if Calcium carbonate could be of that’ nano paricle size then it can potentially replace it directly .
Current
toxicological studies have proven the safety of CaCO3 nanoparticles.
The issue its not yet approved by any food agency yet as immediate replacement.

1 Like

@KamilPL

If studies have proven starch has whitening power as its considered the immediate replacement by some quarters…
Its needs to be proven first if a special.starch can do the job, for such purpose before just assuming it won’t.

Sir, I was responding to a question about what TiO2 does, functionally, and the disadvantages of starch alternatives. Please consider the entire thread before you comment. As far as your cheese analog situation, please consider your complete formulation. I doubt very much in your case that there will be a direct 1 for 1 swap for TiO2. You will have to reconsider your recipe holistically, or wait for someone to put something new onto the market.

Industry already have great natural replacer for TiO2 ehich has been approved for food usage. Even in India it is banned now.

My company has a TiO2 replacer. Please contact me in the following email for further information: [email protected]

What is your solution?

Could you give us more details.

1 Like

I was just reading a short sales article from Sensient, which is a pretty big company for colours where I am, and they have rolled out a suite of various replacements, depending on the food product and the required functionality. I think that’s the actual solution. I have not yet heard of any one product that will replace TiO2 for all applications.

Does your company have a representative office in Poland?

Referring to previous statements, it is obvious that starch will whiten the product. It has a light color and forms a light suspension when combined with water. In my product, starch is more than 20%. Titanium white only corrected the shade of riboflavin (B2).

I am asking for solutions approved in the EU. We have very strict requirements here and constant control of veterinary inspection. My plant is under constant supervision.

1 Like