FSTDESK

Shelf life extension of hummus

Hello everyone,
How can we extend the shelf life of hummus to 3 months under ambient conditions? What are some of the processes, additives/preservatives and packaging technology which can be used in order to enhance the shelf life of the product?

hummus had high Aw ,more than 0.95.Therefore its highly perishable .
The best to prolong its life is by aseptic packaging so it can last for months in chilled or frozen storage. .
I hope some of out Arabic, Greek or other Mediterranean resident members can provide some suggestions how to prolong its shelf life based from their experience…

3 Likes

Most commercial hummus is HPP processed these days. You can extend shelf life through acidification but 90 days would be a stretch.

5 Likes

I agree with Michael (PEICAN). High pressure processing (HPP) is a good choice for stability but I do not think it will get you a product which is stable at ambient temperatures. It would still require refrigeration.

1 Like

Correct Chris.
I missed the ambient temperature qualifier.
Roy is correct. It would have to be retorted or aseptically packed.
I think they have ambient temperature HPP baby food in pouches but the pH is likely lower.

1 Like

I would suggest some combination of pottasium sorbate + natural based extracts, acidic nature.
Also add some fava flour, which is suitable in this application and does not alter flavor in low dosages and can drop aw.

Purpose: to reach 5.5 pH or lower.

Clean label, is too difficult for this already difficult problem.

1 Like