Sedimentation issue in mango juice

How to avoid Sunset yellow and Tartrazine colours sedimentation issue in mango juice.

Please help me out on the above subject please.

Use the pure dye colors of sunset yellow and tartrazine not the lake which are water insoluble…

2 Likes

To contribute to what Roy said I will ask one question. Was it only the added colours that sedimented?
If your answer is no I think you’ll need emulsification and suspension in the system. I will suggest acacia gum and gellan gum to help you hold your juice together. Other label friendly hydrocolloids can work too.

3 Likes

I have been using the gum acacia and pectin in some cases. Even though issue is not sorted out.

What is pure dye colour. please elaborate it sir.

Taerrazine and sunset yellow as well as other artificial food colors are made in two types.The pure colorsnt or dye which is water soluble and suited for beverage spplication.and the lakes which is the color itself mixed with alumina suited for oil based application…
So according to how you use it you need to select the proper material for your purpose.
For further details you can read a book or in the web about food colors .

Adding on to what Roy and Endee suggested, Did you check if there is any such issue for the product without addition of these dyes?

Anil,
I guess your mango juice is diluted hence the need for added colours.
Pectin is a thickener and will not bring about suspension. It will only form complexes with proteins in acidic conditions like fermented milk drinks.
Xanthan gum, gellan gum and MCC suspend insoluble particles in beverages.

Then there is homogenization. The homogenization step must be adequate to reduce the particles such that there’ll be proper interaction between all components present. If the homogenization is not adequate the stability will fail.

In addition to homogenization, the hydrocolloids concentration matter too. If you use too little or too much it will destabilize the system.

pH and heat treatment should be controlled. Each hydrocolloid have their optimum pH range. High heat treatment can induce sedimentation hence most commercial beverages are flash pasteurized to retain nutrients and stability. Mango juice is acidic which is good for pectin and acacia unless you are adding other alkaline components or too much water.

Again if you use soluble colours like Roy suggested it could solve your problem. However, if other components are sedimenting too aside from the colours, when you use soluble colours they will stay in solution while some other components will sediment. Nanoscientist suggested that you should eliminate the colours in your next trials and observe the outcome, I totally agree with that.

Finally, I guess your packaging is transparent that’s why the sediment gives you concern. If it were opaque I will say just write “shake well before drinking” on the label as long as the sediments don’t affect the taste and shelf life of the product.

1 Like

Thank you very for your explanation. I will try with some other stabilizers and colours as suggested and revert. We are using mainly gum acacia as stabilizer and we too have Homogenization system then pasteurisation.

Hi Anil, Gum Acacia is great for use in Emulsions, but I believe it is the gum Acacia that is binding with your colour and forming precipitation due to the emulsification effect of gum Acacia then having a density greater than the beverage density and the gum Acacia settling in the bottom of beverage. Are you using cloudifier or emulsion and is that the source of gum Acacia.? There are many types of gum Acacia, having different polysaccharide compositions, Senegal is one of the best. Sometimes it’s the resin used in the weighting process of clouding agent, that causes sedimentation too. If you are using Gum Acacia as a stabilizer, use a Thixotropic one in combination with Gellan or Xanthan gum.

1 Like

Beta Pectin can be a good option to stabilize color. You can reach out suppliers to provide you samples eg CP Kelco.

1 Like