Plant based yogurt

Hello.
I have been trying to develop a plant based yogurt from millet, brown rice, cashew and coconut cream. It tastes great. However I find my self facing some issues with the culture. I went for S. thermophillus, L. acidophillus, L. bulgaricus and L. planterum. The product tastes good sour just like yogurt but it wont set. The consistency will be that of a smoothie. I know from the taste it is fermenting and tastes as good as dairy yogurt with the optimum sourness but I cant understand why it wont set.
I am Innoculating the culture at room temperature (35-38 degree C). Tried setting it for 8,10,12,14,16,18 and even 24 hours. It will not set. Using 1 gm of the whole mix (.25 gm each culture) for 1 litre batch.
Any guidance please ?

1 Like

its the sufficient milk protein that makes dairy yogurt set…
if you have very little or none of it in your plant yogurt you may need hydrocolloids and other thickener to simulate it.?

1 Like

I tried using tapioca starch and carrageenan gum but that wouldnt help either

1 Like

ask your carrageenan supplier for a tyoe that gels it might need the presence of calcium ions etc …or you might needs alginate type. that work the same purpose…

2 Likes

Ill ask him. Thank you.

Although, I wonder how soy milk, oat milk, coconut milk etc. set with just heirloom or commercial cultures. I coudnt quite understand how the chemistry works different there.

1 Like

The common denominator is protein …

1 Like

The protein content in my product is 3.5%. I did a nutrional analysis
Maybe ill try increasing it more

1 Like

You study also the unique property of certain proteins to promote thickening if not gelling properties as that functional property is what countbin your application.
It miay not be always in protein quantity but its gelling properties thats important…

2 Likes

Understood. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, i am doing some work too on plant based non dairy milk yoghurt and it really not getting anywhere yet, is there any culture that could work well with plant protein?
I’ll like to see how youre getting on with your research.
I am using Tigernut milk, coconut milk, soy milk, Cajanus cajan and breadfruit milk.

1 Like

I created a soya yoghurt in the past just with soya milk, soya isolate and yoghurt cultures

From my understanding you need to find plant proteins that they would have an isoelectric point at around 4.6 which is around the pH that the proteins unfold to create the gelling effect.

If I would have to guess I would think that a combination of soya (for gelling) and coconut cream (for creaminess) could give you a good result.

Let me know how it goes if you try it.

1 Like

RuBisCo protein extraction methods

Hello everyone, We are developing a a method to extract RuBisCo protein from leaves. We want to know What is the industrial feasible method to extract the protein How could we dechlorophyllise the leaf protein. Please provide reference of an expert if you know

The most common industrial method for extracting RuBisCo protein from leaves is through the use of aqueous extraction, often combined with centrifugation to separate the protein from other cellular components.

To dechlorophyllize the leaf protein, one method is to use aqueous or organic solvent extraction, followed by centrifugation and chromatography to separate the chlorophyll from the protein. Another method is to use a method called acid or alkali treatment.

One expert in the field of RuBisCo protein extraction is Dr. Julian Eaton-Rye from the University of Western Ontario. He has published several articles on the topic, including “Methods for isolation and characterization of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase”

have been trying to develop a plant based yogurt from millet, brown rice, cashew and coconut cream. It tastes great. However I find my self facing some issues with the culture. I went for S. thermophillus, L. acidophillus, L. bulgaricus and L. planterum. The product tastes good sour just like yogurt but it wont set. The consistency will be that of a smoothie. I know from the taste it is fermenting and tastes as good as dairy yogurt with the optimum sourness but I cant understand why it wont set. I am Innoculating the culture at room temperature (35-38 degree C). Tried setting it for 8,10,12,14,16,18 and even 24 hours. It will not set. Using 1 gm of the whole mix (.25 gm each culture) for 1 litre batch. Any guidance please ?

There are a few potential reasons why your plant-based yogurt is not setting.

One possibility is that the types and amounts of carbohydrates in the millet, brown rice, cashew, and coconut cream base may not be providing enough food for the bacteria to produce the thickening agents (such as exopolysaccharides) that are responsible for yogurt’s characteristic texture.

Another possibility is that the temperature at which you are incubating the yogurt may be too high or too low for the culture to effectively thicken the mixture. S. thermophillus and L. acidophillus perform best at around 42-45°C, while L. bulgaricus and L. plantarum are best at around 37-40°C.

Additionally, the amount of culture you are using may not be sufficient to ferment the large batch of milk. It is possible to try to increase the amount of culture being used or increasing the incubation time.

You might also want to consider adding thickeners such as pectin, guar gum or xanthan gum to increase the viscosity of the yogurt.

I would recommend consulting with experts in the field such as food scientists, dairy technologists or fermentation scientists for more detailed guidance on how to improve your plant-based yogurt recipe.

2 Likes

There are a few potential reasons why your plant-based yogurt is not setting.

One possibility is that the types and amounts of carbohydrates in the millet, brown rice, cashew, and coconut cream base may not be providing enough food for the bacteria to produce the thickening agents (such as exopolysaccharides) that are responsible for yogurt’s characteristic texture.

Another possibility is that the temperature at which you are incubating the yogurt may be too high or too low for the culture to effectively thicken the mixture. S. thermophillus and L. acidophillus perform best at around 42-45°C, while L. bulgaricus and L. plantarum are best at around 37-40°C.

Additionally, the amount of culture you are using may not be sufficient to ferment the large batch of milk. It is possible to try to increase the amount of culture being used or increasing the incubation time.

You might also want to consider adding thickeners such as pectin, guar gum or xanthan gum to increase the viscosity of the yogurt.

I would recommend consulting with experts in the field such as food scientists, dairy technologists or fermentation scientists for more detailed guidance on how to improve your plant-based yogurt recipe.

1 Like

Thank you all for the valuable insights. My product is soy free hence could not use soymilk. However I noticed that adding some oatmilk helped. Its setting to about 90 percent now. Lack of Protein is defienitely why its not fermenting as per expectation.
I feel like adding the right kind of vegan protein having high gelling properties as suggested by @Roy will help.
Thank you all.