Making a recipe for "Sugar Free Osmania Biscuits" and other products

Hi,

We are a small SME manufacturing based out of Hyderabad, India. We produce Local favourite Osmania Biscuits. We want to make Sugar free version of it. We used Xanthanan Gum and Sucralose but it did not work. We want some help in the development of this recipe. How do we bind the biscuit when we replace sugar. The biscuit is a high-fat biscuit so it is becoming even more tough to keep the structure.

In biscuits sugar function as a sweetener and texturizer…
May I know how did you use sucralose as sugar replacement, on what equivalent basis.
You can combine isomalt and sucralose in a ratio to attain the bulk or texture of sugar but sufficient sweetness of sugar…
You had to make an experiment based on your recipes.Calculate how much sucralose is needed to provide the same sweetness of your osmania biscuits then replace the remaining bulk with isomalt.
This is the simplest method as isomalt behave like cane sugar in biscuits…
Thats the same principle you use in your other biscuits.
Another bulking agents used in place of isomalt are lactitol, maltitol ,and polydextrose.
Good luck.!

Currently our ratios are 35kg flour : 20 kg fat: 8.5kg powered sugar and vanilla and cardommon in little .
Baked for 20 mins under 210-220c . I am not food scientist. But I have understood what you said. I will doing the trials. Would like to know what ratios will work. To replace above mentioned

We used 0.3kg and 0.5 kg of sucralose for every kg of sugar we did both the trails. But after cooling down biscuit crumbles.

Thats the wrong way to do it.
You use sucralose for sweetness not as bulk…Sucralose is 600x sweeter than sugar…
Try to get the pure material not the over the counter cheap ones which are laden with maltodextrin…
Use the isomalt,etc as bulking agent…

You can write down how much sugar you use per batch of osmania biscuits. We will try to see how much sucralose and bulking agents you will need.

2 Likes

We use 8.5 kg of powdered sugar per batch.
Batch has 35kg flour and 20 kg palm fat.

You need at least 1.4 kg to 1.42 kg of pure sucralose and 7.4 kg to 7.6 kg of isomalt granules or powder .
Combine the sucrallose and isomalt in thar ratio and use your standard bakery procedure in making osmania biscuits.

Make small scale lab scale trials to verify the recipe sweetness and texture before you try making a large batch.

BTW, keep the other recipe ingreduents as is including fats and other ingredients.
Good luck.

1 Like

Sure. Thank you so much. Let me do a trail and get back to you. :hugs::hugs:

1 Like

@Sharanpavan
I am keenly interested to see how it goes ,if the recipe needs to be improved to fine tune the sugar replacement blends …

Are you sure sucralose is a decent substitute to sugar? An ingredient famous for a number of intense side effects, especially cumulative, may not be an honorable food development solution.
Consider erythritol + fibers for mass compensation and texture

Can you elaborate on how to use it? Ratios ?. We use 8.5kg powdered sugar per batch.

Inulin may help you.

@CMYKingredients

I encountered the same issue with the op in other guys .I don’t want to market other products like you …:joy:
Use what immediately works and not play aound…
I don’t earn money from this anyway…

I don’t know how pure is your sucralose, so I gave allowance.You can arithmetically compute to get it exact …But test first in small scale to verify the taste.

1 Like

Inulin does not have similar "crystallinity or glassiness "as inulin…is amorphous. .The biggest problem in direct material substitution is the texture effect specifically if the sugar level is substantial.in the recipe.

3 Likes

Looks like someone is having an attitude here))!

1. Fiber + erythritol was an indicative suggestion to consider. It is not possible to suggest an exact recipe on the product you never works on, various fibers with various sweeteners would produce totally different results. You don’t need to be a pro to know this. That’s why the suggestion was very directional and not specific. My company does not sell fibers or sweeteners of any kind if anything.

2. It does take a profession and devotion (incl.investment of various resources, starting with time) to create outstanding products. And working on each and every next recipe or technology = time+money. So charging when you are professional in something is a must as it is proportional to responsibility, unless you want to share or donate for personal or indirect commercial reasons. I do recommend to charge for work. Always. Because free consulting = NO responsibility for the final result. That’s why even indicative advises are limited. My team is a professional food-tech crew with patents and a huge portfolio of innovative product concepts (24 product groups with over 300 products), we’ve developed multiple products that were selected as SIAL Paris innovations and are now sold in several countries at 3 continents. Sharing expertise is also a must, but it must make sense and be responsible under any angle. Thank you for reading till here))

1 Like

@CMYKingredients
You crave attention for your business…thats the fact…:smile:

This group provides answer gratis…
You want to make business with the OP send him PM if he agrees with it.

The OP originally was asking immediate solution as I had experienced his problems in my other past R& D work. then I should tell him directly the best practical solution.
If you find it offensive as its contrary to your business model then its not my problem.

1 Like

My suggestion is to add same quantity of Maltitol Powder as that of Sugar that is 8.5 Kg and 1.5 g Sucralose to get same sweetness as Maltitol is only 90% sweeter as compared to Sucrose

1 Like

1.4 Kg Pure Sucralose? It’s too much.

The average sweetness of sucralose is presumed 600Ă— in comparison to sucrose which means that 1.67 gram suralose is enough to replace 1 kg sucrose depending the purities and degree of sweetness perciption.

Usually, when thinking about sugar replacement it turns out to be a combination of HIS (like stevia, aspartame, suralose, …) + sugar alcohol (as bulking agent-the limiting factors are their laxative and cooling effects) +fiber (polydextrose or inulin or RS to compensate the negative effects of sugar alcohols).

1 Like