Improving the process of freezing and defrosting an avocado for consumption

Hi,

My client is seeking for a method of improving the process of freezing and defrosting avocado fruit for consumption (persea americans hass). Currently, the fruit (devoid of seed and skin) is vacuum sealed and frozen in air tight packaging. The fruit loses its consistency after freezing.
How can we improve the consistency after freezing? Is there any additive which can serve the purpose?

1 Like

freezing of water inside the fruit cells expands its volume. this causes the fruit cells to burst. Is this the main reason of losing of consistency?

2 Likes

Hi
I remeber that my professor of food engineering has done some work regarding using some sort of electrical current or something else for some vegetable to protect the cell structure form being damage during freezing thereby portect it from damage that cause by the fromation of ice crystales. I can check his name if your looking for some related aricled published by him.

1 Like

Please could you try HPMC cellulose. In ice cream it helps meltdown and aids with the crystals in water. Maybe this can help structure stabilization. This is if you want an additive approach to the problem. Another could be Gellan gum and Xantham.

1 Like

Yes, kindly do the needful.

Thanks, noted.

Ice cream is an emulsion beaten to a fine particle size along with the other component including gums like CMC ,Carrageenan etc.and emulsifiers.
It won’t work if you just spray it as s solutions over peeled avocado before being frozen.

1 Like

I think on same way.

3 Likes

OIP

1 Like

We have a company that does avacado this way in packaging.

1 Like

That great. May I know what preservative/ additive used in it?

1 Like

His name is Federico Gomez from lund uversity .

1 Like

They use SO2 as preservative and frozen.

2 Likes