Cracks on Whipping Cream

Dear Professionals please guide how to control cracks on whipping cream cake during storage in refrigerator after decoration.

And how to improve whipping ability I mean how to increase strength.

Many thanks in advance

What does contain your cream? And these images after refrigerated or?

These are before refrigeration.

Could you please share also after?

I don’t have after at the moment.

But we are facing crakes and sometime very loose texture. Please guide me.

first rule, you should not stock cream in any condition. You should use it immediately because it lose its foamy texture.

In Pakistan we are giving many month shelf life and transport in freezing conditions before whipping

i mean after whipping. Before is of course ok.

@ikram4uvas
If you are using liquid whipping cream then the causes of cracking upon spreading on cakes.

1. Excess liquid attributed to fresh cut fruit topping which oozes water on standing .
  2. Overwhipping also promotes syneresis which leads to oozing of liquid causing it to crack upon standing.
    3 Exposure to high humidity also promotes surface cracking .
1 Like

That’s points. Thanks a lot Dear Roy.

Try a small amount of Xanthan gum 0.01% when whipping the cream this should help with the cracking.

Actually if I add xantham gum or Guargum then it become spongy and immediately turn to dryness

1 Like

I agree with guar gum(not suitable) but xanthan at a very low level will stabilise the cream and make the structure sounder…maybe you have trialled at too higher a level to get that poor response as both these gums are very hydrophilic.

1 Like

Dear Steve,

Could you please help me how to increase overun /whipping as I’m getting very less.

Best Regards

@ikram4uvas
Overrun varies with the type of whipping cream.Raw cream.had least overrun UHT cream had higher overrun ,non dairy or whipped topping made from HPKO had highest overrun.
Now in cream application the amount of overrun varies with the product where whipped cream is applied.High quality expensive cream filled products are medium overrun to maintain optimum taste and texture.
Cheap cream filled products had highest overrun using non dairy cream toppings.

1 Like

Dear Roy, its non Dairy whipping cream with 17% HPKO and 20% sugar and 6% maltodextrin with some others stabilizers and emulsifier.

Please give me hint how to increase overun.

Many thanks

Thats small amount of fat …Thats low quality whipped topping…it should have at least 25% HPKO.
.it can’t aerate more…try

1. adding 5 to 10% hard coconut or Melted HPKO then whip it and see if it improves…or
  2. Try also adding the same amount of Melted unsalted butter if it works
  3. Another ,try adding 3 % skim milk powder and see it it increases overrun.
    Good luck

Dear Roy , first make it clear its pasteurized and homogenized at 300 bar. And we are filling it in pouches at frozen temperature-18 degree.

Even companies are making at 12% fat. But I dont know how it is possible.

Now please tell me CBS will be better or 38/40 will be better for whipping.?

HPKO Iauric fat, CBS are mostlyHPKO…The minimum fat should be 25 for high overrun…
BTW, what additives are you using, are you adding milk protein like sodium caseinate…are you adding gums like carrageenan, HPMC , Xanthan ,guar etc.
What emulsifiers are you using. IF you put quantities of apha tending emulsifiers…like acetylated monoglycerides.i,lactatylated monoglycerides. PGME, or monof diglycerides and polysorbates, that might help i low fat creams…
Polyglycerol esters would help also.

So out of these two fats which one I have to use to increase overun.?