Adhesion problem in coconut coated almonds

Hello, I’m developing coconut-coated almonds.
ingr. - almonds- 5kg , brown sugar - 1 kg, liq glucose - 80g , water - 250g , guar gum- 3g, citric acid 5g , desiccated coconut powder- 1kg, salt 20g.

Procedure;

1)Prior roasting of almonds in an oven,140 c for 25 min.
2)Slurry - Brown sugar(900g) + Liq. glucose+ water mixed and boiled.
3)Guar gum + brown sugar(100g) added to the boiled slurry and then mixed.
4)Almonds are then coated with a slurry in a pan coater. ( the temp. diff.
between the two not more than 25F.
5) Desiccated coconut+ salt then sprinkled over it.
6) Final roasting - 140 c for 10 min

• taste, crunchiness is good but what should I do to make it more uniform in appearance

4 Likes

what is your syrup brix?

did you cook the syrup enough to eliminate recrystallization?

what is your cooking temperature?

and to help you we need more info. how do you pan them?

panning requires experience. If you can share a short video will be nice to understnd your panning method.

7 Likes

Sorry, I don’t know the Brix and cooking temp of syrup. Would you please suggest me what should be the temp and brix of the syrup? I will implement it in next trial & will follow up shortly.

2 Likes

Brix 70 and temp 120 is good for cooking. Set a 70 brix syrup and cook it until 120 C.

4 Likes

There is no specific cooking time, right? Do I have to just heat it until it reaches 120c?

1 Like

yes. it is enough.

3 Likes

Hi @Vinayak_7080

Is there any news?

1 Like

Hi, how to cook the syrup enough to eliminate recrystallization? I cooked the syrup and then put the nut inside, after some minutes - the sugar becomes white crystals

1 Like

hard sugar panning requiring recrystallization of course.

cooking just eliminate it in your tank and bucket or application equipment.

after covered center with sugar syrup then water will be evaporated and so sugar will be recrystallized.

1 Like

I have some experience in producing caramelized nuts. I prefer to create a syrup to which I add unroasted dried fruit.
what happens is that by continuing to heat and mix the fruit it is covered with syrup which then recristilates it by covering it (you can see it and in my opinion it is very interesting in the video that I am attaching)
in the following phases the layer of sugar that covers the fruit begins to caramelize.
the fruit roasts during the process given the temperatures involved.

following the video you can see a product made during a fair a few years ago.

to create a glossy coating to the product it will be necessary to add anti-crystallizers at the end of the process: in this case honey, but it could be an invert sugar syrup or similar

1 Like

are their coating sticky and wet when expose to the air?

1 Like

they have a good duration, but as they are not covered with other products (gums, waxes), they certainly need a package that protects them from humidity (it is still sugar).
I would make the covering later when the product is cold

1 Like

After the syrup coated nuts cool down, are u coating with, ex: arabic gum - water mixture, and dry-roasting again? Any advise for the last coating mixture to make the nuts not become sticky and wet when exposing to the air?

1 Like

it could only be sprinkled with some wax and dried before this process if necessary.

try to see the process of jelly sweet

1 Like

I think your question is about uniform adhesion of your slurry over nuts.

You could try using HPMC ( Methocel F50) at 0.5% level of your total sugar weight.

This will give uniform adhesion and also tackiness will be avoided to a great extent.

Hope this helps

3 Likes

Ohk, will try. Thank you

1 Like

Re-crystallization is supposed to be addressed by Citric Acid.

1 Like