Which preservative is used to enhance shelf life of halva

Recently i have to launch a Halva (similar to Omani Halva) but a little different. wherein sugar is used at low measure. can anyone help which presecvative is used to enhance shelf life of the same.

1 Like

So, there are different types of halva, but most I have seen are low in moisture. When you remove sugar, you are potentially increasing available moisture in the product, and there will be your trouble. If the aW or water activity is too high to be naturally shelf stable, you will need to add something. Potassium Sorbate and potassium benzoate are a fairly typical combination, but you really need some basic info regarding the aW and pH of the product to even begin designing a shelf life strategy.

3 Likes

a bundle of thanks for your kind assistance, I will contact you back after confirmation regarding the said matter.

Sugar itself is one of the best known classII Preservatives and if you want something more keeping there is the universal preservative of Sodium Benzoate up to 1000PPM (Indian Permissible limit).

3 Likes

Yes, but his point is that he is creating a formula that reduces sugar content, thus the question. Also, please correct me if I am mistaken, but sugar would be considered a Class I preservative, correct?

2 Likes

frindz, as a student I know regarding the sugar’s role in any product as a preservative, but it is only possible when the brix level will be upto level 67+. The product Halva has commonly less brix level then 20. please, help me in this regard.

1 Like

What is the moisture content of the product, and do you have some idea of the water activity?

2 Likes

@Yousuf_Jamil
Whats the main spoilage issue you need to solve in youtlr halva; is it flavor,texture or fungal problems?

1 Like

facing both texture and flavour

with regards to flavors and textures could you elaborate the changes upon storage?

1 Like

Sir, the Halva is same like this, i cannot explain water activity in it, you better understand about the same just focusing on it.

1 Like

there are some white layer over the halva and taste is effected with bitterness.

1 Like

White layer is likely fat bloom and migration…,bitter offtaste is likely caused by nuts fat degradation due formation of peroxides .

2 Likes

sir, thanks for the guidance, could you help regarding safe storage with enhanced shelf life of the halva and exact measurment of the required preservative to be used in the halva as well as kind of relevant preservative.

1 Like

You don’t need preservatives as there is no microbial growth … as its fat bloom and peroxidation of nut oils …

2 Likes

meaning thereby i should decrease the nut and oil level in the product.

1 Like

Whats are the ingredients of that halva? So we can see what mighr be positively done .

1 Like

@Yousuf_Jamil
If you are unwilling to provide information about the ingredients used then how can we find a viable solution to your problem
.Halva is a generic material made globally with individual makers putting their own touch.
What matters are the exact components as that will determines the root cause of spoilage .
You have to tell whats the ambient temperature and humidity and the expected shelf life of the item.
Further does this " spoilage " occur regularly or just seasonally.

3 Likes

ingredients are here: wet wheat flour (obtained from wheat like following), very less amount of sugar, walnut’s oil and chopped walnuts,

1 Like

Walnut oil is prone to peroxidation…Thats thd cause of bitter off taste But I dont understand where can fat bloom arise, there is no hard fat there…
please post a pictures of that white layer yoy mentioned…
Wet wheat flour…you.mean you wet with water the wheat flour?

2 Likes