Omega 6:3 ratio, how much ALA equals EPA+DHA?

ALA has weak effects compared to EPA+DHA.

I wonder how much ALA one would have to eat per 1g of Omega 6. Websites list only Omega 6:3 ration should be kept between 1:1 - 4:1, but they don’t talk in terms of Omega 3 type you are eating! I assume this ratio assumes you eat EPA+DHA. Problem is each agency estimates safety of EPA+DHA on different level, EFSA like 3 g, FDA 5 g, whereas IOM only 1.6g. But Omega 6 RDA is set as high as 17 g!!! I don’t want to go overboard on EPA+DHA, I thought i would help to get closer Omega 6 ratio with eating ALA, problem is how much grams of ALA counts as 1 g of EPA+DHA in terms of Omega 6:3 ratio?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi. The intake levels of EFSA and FDA are about supplementary way of consumption. In total omega-3 need is 1,1-1,3 for women; 1,6-1,7 for men. This compassess ALA, EPA, DHA. ALA converted EPA,DHA only 5%, an also EPA:DHA ratio is optimum at 2:1. Therefore one should consider taking enough amount of all omega-3s. However, it is not efficient for a person to track how much ALA, EPA and DHA are intaken, it will be logical to seize the recommendation of food group consumption.
By the way 17 g of omega-6 is not so high, it encompasses the ones from vegetable oils, nuts, wheat germ, beans and legumes etc.

1 Like

I never worry about the academic aspects of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, I just ate marine seafood of scombroid family, mackerel, sardines and herring .as well as wild salmon.Consume flaxseeds / chia seeds and use extra virgin olive oil regularly in dishes .
i know marine seafood mentioned had Balanced omega 3 to 6 ratio.
I just
Avoid high omega 6 fatsclike peanut, soybean, etc . as well as farmed fishblike Tilapia and salmon.

1 Like

That is just perfectly fine

1 Like

This is interesting.
I am developing an infant diet formula for generally all infants in my target market, but particulaly for infant with very poor antenatal care (interms of poor nutrition status of fetal carrier) and infant that are not breastfed. Checking up global brands for special infant formula, i discovered its not within the reach of poor families and care giver homes to afford.

DHA, major and nano nutrients of natural food or agro-produce sources that could be compounded to meet up the RDA for 4-24months infants are my what I seek.

I will appreciate any good suggestions and recommendations as well as references on such research/work done.

1 Like