Legumes heat treatment

Good day professional, I’m trying to treat legumes through freeze drying, due to off-flavors, bad odours cause by the presence of certain enzymes.

My question:

Do anybody has any idea of how I can achieve a low pressure manually in my lab.

1. Do anybody has any other effective techniques of treating plant protein

LYOphillization or freeze drying does not deactivate
lipoxygenase enzyme responsible for legume taste., Germination is better…
Pressure cooking beans is one way to reduce beans taste…Often most kitchens have a pressure cooker.Anothee is soaking in 0.5% NaHCO3 solution fir at least 6 hours
You combine both methods you get much better result.

2 Likes

Thanks Roy, what was on my mind was to dehull the legume and or heat treat for 121 for 10min to avoid denaturation and finish the process with lypholisation.

Is it possible?

121 attack the enzymes

But hope the pressure cooking won’t denature the protein… will like to use it for plant milk

Dehulling does not remove lipoxygenase enzyme. heat treatment might be but the taste due enzymatic reaction is not driven off.Pressure cooking where steam drives of volatile might help…

Yes I know but the water during dehulling initiate enzymatic reaction

Thank you for that contribution

If dehulling initiate lipoxygenase action then you should presoak the beans In NaHCO 3 solutiin after being dehulled to curtail it.
Why do you want to lyopphillize it.if its not effective?

I want to dry it after heat treatment while maintaining the color

You want to retain color then inactivating the chlorophhylase, catalase- peroxidase enzyme by heat treatment will do it, but to drive off traces of lipoxygenase reaction you need to steam it off.

FOR example if you want to make soy milk it needs heat treatment to inactivate enzymes ,as well as kill pathogens , denature proteins to make it more digestible further destroying the antinutrient factor called Lectins.

Are you saying the protein needs to be denature to make it readily available and absorbable

Yes, the same principle why you cook meat and even legumes; the latter contain lectins which affect nutrients absorption…

But it will reduce it functionality in the Application at long run… I’ll try it…

Then Roy, can you advice on how I can steam off the volatile… what process would advice

What if I connect the vacuum to the pressure pot

Pressure cooking foods releases excess steam from the pressure valve so,off goes with it the volatiles

Good morning Roy, so after the pressure cooking, how can I dry it.

Can you guide me with a simple flow chart

Lol…that is kitchen work…if you know how to cook you don’t need flowchart…:rofl:

There is nothing complicated in making soy milk, if thats a similar goal with your legume milk.You already did the groundwork…You are only stymied by the off flavor due to the lipoxygenase and color change due chlorophyllase / catalase / peroxidase enzymes I mentioned. If you had succeeded in it then drying would not be difficult in what ever means you had in mind.FYI, your method is complex using lyophilizarion etc due to the lack of understanding of the mechanism behind your project .
Now that you are already enlightened after a series 9f discussion, the work actually becomes easier…