Emulsifier for all oil cake mix

I am trying to convert formula based on emulsified cake shortening to dry emulsifier. The recipe needs to support all oil. Any help or direction on dry emulsifier or commercially available blend will help. Thank you.

2 Likes

Would you explain your cake recipe,and cake mixing procedure. The finushed cake batter gravity, the composition of your emulsified shortening …
As that will guide the effective substitution that can be recommended…

2 Likes

Dear Roy

The major ingredients are as follows: Flour= 100% Sugar=130% shortening=64%, Egg=51%, Minor ingredients: Salt, double acting baking powder, flavor, Guar gum, starch.

The shortening is SansTrans by Bunge: Palm oil, Alpha Monoglyceride, PGME, Lecithin.

Mixing: all in.

Target sp. gravity: 0.8.

We would like to convert this to all soy oil in formula.

Thank you.

1 Like

If you can get pure PGMS beads or pellet and pure soy oil and soy lecithin you can mske your own liquid shortening…But are you using good quality cake flour ?
Whats the composition of your double acting baking powder aa listed in the package ?

2 Likes

" Santrans shortening45 i saw the specs is just pure vegetable fat .there is no emulsifiers there…Whats the exact code of that san trans shortening you are using?

2 Likes

Dear Roy.

Yes, Its Chlorinated cake flour.

The baking powder states: SALP, MCP and Sodium Bicarb.

Between, I have been reading on Emulsifier. If using the above emulsifier would it be best to melt them prior to adding to warmed oil?,

Most PGME, Mono and diglyceride manufacturer give cake gel recipe which have water.

Does the emulsifier mixed with oil only have same functionality in formulation or the gel containing water have appreciable advantage.

Much appreciate your help.

2 Likes

What you want to use is soya oil and emulsifier…You need to heat up the soya oil to above the melting point of PGMS ( 50 to 60C ) and dissolve the 8 to 10% of at least 90% pure PGMS in flakes, pellets , or beads .with stirring…Once its dissolved add the liquid lecithin 0.5 to1%. Then use the liquid shortening as your main shortening at 35 to 60% flour weigh basis in your cake making process.

if you have liquid DATEM you can use it to replace soy lecithin…

3 Likes

SansTrans Cake Shortening.pdf (223.1 KB)

1 Like

I see its a cake mix shortening…it wont work well with all oilcakes…

2 Likes

Thank you.

What would be the conversion if liquid datem is substituted against lecithin

1 Like

Use 0.8% the dose of soy lecithin…bit it depends …sometimes i use it 1:1 and the resukts are better…with lighter cakes and better volumes.

2 Likes

Much appreciate all the pointers.

Thank you.

2 Likes