Development of a high protein beverage

Hello, I’m in the process of developing a high-protein drink and I’d like to know how do I go about doing trials and knowing what exact ingredients to choose either for the protein powder or the recipe in general. Any advice or help would be nice.
Thank you

1 Like

@Youssef_alami

The SOP in new product development is before you embark in such work is you are familiar with its fundamentals, the theory, the principles the functionality of ingredients its interactions that affect the end product .
In short you know in theory what you should do…k
You have made comprehensive background information check initially.
If you did not then you should not had started that project as its beyond your knowledge and capabilities to do so…Then its wrong to start a new product development scheme in any product you want to create. with no idea how to initiate it.
REMEMBER ALWAYS IGNORANCE IS THE PRECURSOR TO PRODUCT FAILURES…
Trial and error is wasteful in time, resources and work effort…NPD is best fine through planned experiments
I conclude you are unfit to do that job.

1 Like

I must’ve not explained my self well, I’m talking about the specifics of recipe development and choosing ingredients, I have a whole list of ingredients and each their price to compare I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t know anything about the product, since I’m no scientist I’ll need to know how do I go about the mixing and choosing the exact ingredient since their is multiple of them that have the same functions like sucralose, Ace K… and same for protein powder Wpi,wpc,mpi, so I’ll need help to know what to put first and what not to put since the machine needed for this type of product are UHT and there is a specific way to go about this.

1 Like

@Youssef_alami

You actually did not make a thorough study of your project because if you did you will not met the problems you had now.
Thats what I can say…It does not need to be a PhD scientist to do such work but total preparedness in terms of recipes, proper ingredient ,process from technical and economic feasibility study of that project.

1 Like

Like I said I have many ingredient that I have listed and inspired my ingredients from already established drink since each brand is using different ingredients and there is many of them and each play a role in the drink, now I wrote this forum since I need help if you have any advice or can help me then I’m open if not thank you for trying.

1 Like

@Youssef_alami

Again ,you ignore interactions and unwilling to lnow about it which is very important in NPD…
I am not a guide that will spoonfed product developers.
Rather I motivate them to learn more about their ingredients, process, reactions, interactions and how it affects each other.
As supervisor in NPD i do the same thing ,i encourage initiative from the NPD worker not dependence for information that they should be digging out themselves.
We are training independent minded researchers not incapable fellow unable to work on its own…

1 Like

If I came on this forum is because I did my researches and I was unable to find enough info about ready to drink protein shakes found just already established brands that have their owns scientists and will not be willing to expose their secrets ,for the ingredient and process the only thing that I found is manufacturers that you need to pay at least 2k just for the recipe, so if you know where I can get more knowledge to be an independent researcher about this topic that would be nice.

1 Like

Practically you need to hire a beverages consultant to fill the large gap of your knowledge in that line…
No one would give working formulation gratis…
Thats the fact in food manufacturing business if you want work to be done fast.

1 Like

I actually agree with roy, even if someone gave you a general recipe for your product,you still wouldn’t know how to apply it or maintain it to your desired product. You wouldn’t know what is what when something goes wrong or how to fix it,and believe me sometimes even simplest products could go wrong very badly in industrial production level very easily, i have seen that happen to my colleagues and i hope it never happens to me.

If you want i can point you to some books or journals related to what you need, it will takes only few days to read through a book and figure out what you need in general. after that,is doing experiments with what you have found and applying results. The experiment part is the hard part actually not the study and research part, it took me two entire months of work to figure out a simple three ingredient product formula for production even though i did knew the recipe beforehand

1 Like

I would happily like to know more about the books or journals you’re mentioning. I kept doing my research since then and I came up with a recipe however there is another problem, usually, the problem with protein shakes is that they often have a bad taste or average one, is there anything I can add to make the drink taste better?
Here is the ingredients list so you can have a better idea of what I’m working with.

Water
MPC/MPI
cocoa alkaline
carrageenan
cellulose gel
cellulose gum
sucralose
Ace K

1 Like

Well i wouldn’t recommend milk protein as your base protein for the beverage. You will have problems with solubility and taste of your product, specially when using alcoholic sugars to reduce caloric value, the taste would be unpleasant. Also there are already some products in the market with such properties, have you looked the up or tasted them?

1 Like

I ordered a bunch of different brands and I’m gonna do the comparison between them, do you have any idea of the amount I could use for the thickeners I listed and things such as chocolate flavor and vanilla flavor?

1 Like

True researchers are diligent people.Their innate curiosity to learn motivates them to think and do the work themselves instead of asking .
The lesser kind ask before doing their work as they dont have the courage to learn things themselves…
If this is the latter who you are ,you beter abandon the project and change career aa you lack scientific curiosity to learn nor capable enough doing innovative work.
Therefore. if you want to live the reality of a researcher.
You should test your hypothesis first as you’re the one keenly interested in that fabricated juice project.
Learn much about hydrocolloids doses and its interactions in your unique substrate as that will guide you ideas how to approach your experiment…

1 Like

Hi Youssef,

Have you looked into a bitter blocker? TruClear™ and TruMask™ are patent-pending, clean-label solutions that mask negative taste attributes. We have a track record of success with protein powders and beverages.

Have your business sign up for a free trial - our in-house R+D can also help you in your goals. :slight_smile: