Dairy frozen dessert: how to make the cake stability in freezer

Dear all members,
I am doing research on a non-bake cheesecake made from the premix powder (mix with cold water or milk to to make the batter, then set in the freezer). The requirement is that the quality of cake stored in the freezer in one month has to be stable (We can put the cake out of the freezer and put in the fridge to thaw before serving). The problem is that after being stored in the freezer (-16oC) in 1 week, the cake after being thawed in the fridge has the undesired quality: less smooth, less compact, a little water on the surface of the cake. This situation is more severe when storage time in the freezer is increased (more ice crystal, the cake is drier and drier, gritty mouthfeel appears). I try to use some hydrocolloids (CMC, xanthan), gelling agents (pregeled-modified starch and gelatin) in the formula, but it doesn’t work well. Can you please give me some advice on using other stabilizers (note that it must be active in cold water because this is non-bake cheesecake).
Thank you very much!

2 Likes

If you start from.a commercial premix which are already stabilized then you add more stabilizer you will tend to destabilize the emulsion gradually…So thats s hard to tweak by yourself. Consult your cheesecake premix supplier about that issue as they have the technical people to sort that out.
But if it’s your own formulation then you need a synergistic blend of guar gum, locust bean and xanthan, another blend is guar, CMC and k Carrageenan. If you notice a gritty taste then it might be due to recrystallized lactose, dry textured maybe due to excess of stabilizers that are not balanced and lack of emulsifiers . If you do the gum stabilizer blend yourself it will take you much time to get optimum balance through trial and error . You rather buy a gum stabilizer emulsifier blend for ice cream as that serves the same purpose in your product and expedites your formulation problem…

2 Likes

Dear Mr. Roy,
Thank you for your support. But i just wonder that k-karageenan and locust bean gum are cold water soluble? because the concept of the product is to mix the premix with cold water (no heating process is allowed), then put in the freezer to let the cake set.
Please advise me!
Thank you once again

If you start from scratch are doing instant cold water soluble stabilizers the blend of micro crystalline cellulose,guar, lambda carrageenan or sodium. carboxymethylcellulose, guar gum, sodium alginate, would work.
If you are already using modified starch ,then use the pregelatinized modified starch as that has better gelling properties with gelatin, but you can add sodium.CMC for synergistic and would work satisfactorily with your existing recipe.You just need one more gum.

BTW, locust bean gum is soluble in ambient but takes time to act ,but in combination with other cold water soluble gums it should work…For cheesecakes it’s not recommended as it can produce gummy texture…

2 Likes