Browning of Chilled Raw beef patty

Dear all,
Is there any method to stop or reduce the browning of raw beef patty… we dont want to add any artificial preservatives. The expected life of the product is 3 days. So we need to avoid browning for 3 days.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @bjacob
From what I remember in food chemistry and biochemistry raw meat color change should not be always misconstrued as spoilage. Unless it shows distinct characteristics of true spoilage which often us accompanied by foul aroma generated by microbial decomposition by pathogens.
The "browning color change " is the chemical reaction of the meat pigment metymyoglobin which upon the absence of oxygen forms deoxymetymyoglobin turning from red to brown…
So from the Chemistry standpoint.If there is enough oxygen on the meat surface it retain its reddish color .
Therefore the practical solution is to wrap the meat in air permeable plastic to ensure air flow .Some polypropylene sheets have porous properties; therefore with that in mind consult your packaging supplier for such porous material.
Now to ensure retention of color for the selected period ,if you pack the wrapped meat In porous plastic but you pile it on top of each other then some of then. stacked tightly ,the inner meat pieces with still turn brown gradually as there is not enough air circulation. So it should be moved around to ensure air flow or there is enough space in between meat pouches to promote air circulation ,like placing in a suitable racks in the cold room.

4 Likes

Thanks roy for the reply. Can vaccum packing the beef patties with the suitable packaging material prevent the browning colour in the meat??

1 Like

It seems you did not read or understand my technical explanation of the issue …But the answer is…
Vacuum packaging will worsen the browning problem as you are completely removing the oxygen from the meat.

2 Likes

Nice explanation @Roy…!.you know your Chemistry well…:smiley:

Thanks for the explanation…Few people told me to try vaccum packing thatwhy asked.
Anyway will try packing it like you told :slight_smile: .will keep you posted.

2 Likes

Dear Roy, we have tried without stacking the patty and its working well… thanks again.

3 Likes

You’re welcome Bjacob…:smiley:

2 Likes