Article for spirulina based questions

spirulina
Classified as a cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae — has been used for centuries as a food source in other countries. Spirulina is available in capsules, tablets, and powder and has been incorporated in certain foods and beverages such as energy bars, popcorn, and smoothies

spirulina based other questions can anyone help me

1. What is spirulina made from?

2. What are the side effects of spirulina?

3. What is the benefit of spirulina?

4. Is spirulina an alkaline food?

5. Is spirulina safe for kidneys?

6. Does Spirulina thicken hair?

7. Does spirulina have Omega 3?

8. Is spirulina good for skin?

9. Can Spirulina be bad for you?

10. Is spirulina anti aging?

11. Does Spirulina increase collagen?

12. How much Spirulina should I take daily(as per spec)?

Spirulina catch special attention these days (also moringa):
Spirulina platensis is a spiral blue-green microalgae – looks like a lengthy grass kind of plant seen in water (an easiest way to imagine –similar to seaweed probably). Spirulina Platensis (SP), Spirulina Maxima (SM) and Spirulina Fusiformis (SF) are some edible varieties.
Side effects - need a lot of clinical investigation, also to prove the benefits.
Benefits could be due to:High quality proteins in it, meaning contain essential amino acids.
Essential fatty acids such as omega 3 and 6 (eg, LA and ALA, EPA, DHA) , thus help to reduce the cardiovascular risk. Rich source of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants including phycocyanins, carotenoids, tocopherols and phenolic compounds. Vitamins and minerals (Iron, Mg, K). Some literature shows it is rich in zeaxanthin, that has been linked to reduce macular degeneration.

• Alkaline food or not? need more investigation as currently many disease treatment modes acknowledge need of alkaline food.
  • more investigation required on aspects like kidney safe, liver safe, thicken hair, collagen effect, anti agining, weight control, etc etc.

-Low calorie, and definitely some literature on its use for weight control is discussed.
Check study by Zeinalian et al. found a 12 week supplementation of SP (1 g/day) – BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17(1):225.
-Some scientific aspects::Its health-protective aspect is related phycocyanobilin (PCB). PCB converted within cells to phycocyanorubin, which is said to be identical in structure to bilirubin.
Phycocyanin (an antioxidant) present is suggested to ameliorate blood pressure (need more research again).
It is sometimes categorized as superfood.
Used in the form of powder, so usually mixed with some chocolate flavour + Milk and can be consumed as a functional drink.
Main drawback is its bad smell and difficult to consume it as such.

Now on a personal note, yes, i do have a bottle of spirulina powder and use it occassionally to get the benefit of its antioxidant richness. No definite spec on its intake, just once per week or so.
Hope these helps.
However please do more research, and let me know if you are working with pure raw microalgae itself.
thank you

2 Likes

Any body suggest me spirulina based any food products

not full product but it contains spirulina.

http://thealgaefactory.com/the-milk-chocolate/

1 Like

Lets discuss here, so other people can get benefits from this discussion. :blush:

1 Like