Vegan Gummies

Hello everyone!

I am trying to formulate a vegan gummy based on agar agar and I am having issues with the texture. If you have recommended papers or insights you want to share with me I would really appreciate it !!

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hello,
Any reason for the choice of agar agar (even if moving away from gelatin for halal certification or for vegan consumers).

No reason for choosing specifically agar agar, I can consider another vegan source.

Hello
According with your requirement I think that a good option for use could be Pectins because have relation with vegetal origins of this product
Also , other options it is the use of modified starches

2 Likes

many of the nonstarch hydrocolloids can be attempted for this study

1 Like

Gum Arabic ,Guar gum ,Xanthum gumand pectins willbe a good vegan options.

Agar and pectins creates a short texture whilst gummies have an elastic texture , there are new potato and maize starches in the market to substitute the gelatin texture as long as you can gelatinise and cook the starch effectively can develop good textures.

1 Like

Hello,
Agar is a very good option for vegan gummys. In fact, it is commonly used in many eastern European countries for the manufacture of different types of gums. Some of the advantages that agar offers are:
 Low viscosity in hot solution, which makes agar easy to handle in industrial manufacturing processes.
 High functionality regardless soluble solids content and pH.
 Heat stability and control of synaeresis.

Texture can be adjusted depending on the dose of agar and the acidulants, for example.

Feel free to contact me for further information.

1 Like