Instant hot chocolate powder formulation

Hi
I need some help and expert advice for an instant hot chocolate powder formulation. The final product should be less than 30 grams in powder weight and it would be packaged inside plastic cups with 250 ml capacity.
I would like to know what would be the best additives to use for improving texture and viscosity of the drink( thickening agents that work best and quick in hot wate). What sweeteners? I don’t think i could only use sugar, because of product’s final weight limit and considering other ingredients like cocoa powder and chocolate base, i would need some intense sweeteners.
I could figure out most additives but to be honest i couldn’t find a single good quality hot chocolate instant powder in our market to compare it to or use it as a reference product.
Any advice,ideas or guidances would be appreciated,Thanks.

1 Like

As a new product developer you should conduct comprehensive background research on the topic of interest as that will develop your research skills .
Asking somebody to provide you with bits and pieces pieces of information and sorely lacking in understanding of the project on hand is a sign of irresponsibility and immaturity in doing such work…

1 Like

Well That was extremely helpful thank you, but i thought asking for guidance or " bits of information" as you put it is a basic part of research and study. I’m not looking for a recipe,i need technical guidance for formulating a product

1 Like

Comprehensive background information includes everything. From your post it shows your lack of understanding of the project you had in mind…
you need lots of information which is unusual for someone that want to work on a project.

1 Like

Ok i get it, you are very much responsible and well educated as you pretend to be, now please leave and allow someone who actually has some experience in food science and technology answer my questions.

2 Likes

Hey…I worked in R&D for nearl ly 5 decades…One thing i hate from my subordinates is ignorance. If i gave them a project I gave them the same advice" : Conduct comprehensive background information on that project to be sure you throughly understand what you are doing. ",
What ever technical advice i gave them later on its just to give them pointers on how to improve their efficiency. in reaching their goal.
Meanwhile…You…
Your mindset does not qualify to be one of those guys under my wing…

1 Like

Hi,
For the sweetness :-
1.You could try artificial sweeteners like Aspartame, Sucralose etc…(Check there sweetness index VS Sucrose)
2. Natural alternative is stevia (Can claim natural)
Although these work best with sucrose/maltitol
But will add significantly to the final cost :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you think about maltodextrin?

1 Like

Stevia is both expensive and leaves an unwanted after taste as i had experienced it before in producing low calorie ice creams

1 Like

Well I’m sure that it is great to work with a team of experienced experts with unlimited resources to achieve great results but it’s quite different when you have to do everything on your own and with limited resources.

1 Like

Its indeed a challenge to work alone but you will prove that you are truly capable in.what you trained and plan to do.
Its a supreme test of your grit as an true food professional.

Nowadays ,limited resource is not a valid reason ,your previous diligence and the jnternet can compensate many deficiencies we experienced during our time decades ago. And have proven it some NPD projects lately.

So in the current set up, the main hindrance, to successful research work and new product development is laziness, lack of passion, complacency and lack of intellectual courage to reach the goal…

1 Like

I would use

• lecithinated cocoa powder as it disperses better
  • use an erythritol/stevia blend for natural sweetness
  • or sucralose/ack blend for artificial options
  • use a powder fat based coconut creamer
  • natural vanilla flavour or ethyl vanillin
  • Skimmed milk powder or whey powder for mouth feel
  • a pregel starch or starch/gum combination

Let me know if this helps

2 Likes

Can i use cyclodextrin to increase solubility of particles? Making the drink texture more smooth and uniform?

1 Like