HACCP canned tuna

Hi everyone! I’m writing a HACCP plan for canned tuna production, as exercise for my exam (not real…).
But I’m a bit confused. Considering the hazard “histamine”, I know it’s important to maintain cold chain along production steps, that are: thawing, cutting, precooking, cooling, can filling and retorting. Histamine can’t be inactivated by heating. So, where should I put the CCP point? On receipt, since the supplier must demonstrate that he kept fish frozen (with a document that certify the respect of temperature after fishing), or during storage (correct temperature to maintain) or at other steps (also here correct T)
Briefly, where can I really control this hazard, considering that histamine could be produced everytime I don’t respect low temperature?

2 Likes

Chemically Histamine is produced ftom histidine amino acid which abound in scombrus family ( tuna, herring mackere etc l by many bacteria. Therefore cold temperatures must be maintained in fish handling as that will only minimize if not inhibit its production.
You should study fish processing in particular canning as well.topics of HACCP in the canning process…
There are books and articles you can read in print or in web about histamine production in fish.
That will give you an idea about the specifics you are looking for…
Go do some research instead of waiting for answers…

4 Likes

Hi Fulvia, how are you?
You should write every steps for canned tuna productions.
Firstly, raw material entrance your production area. You should determine chemical, biological and physical hazards of each steps.

I have looked instructions of Ministery of Agriculture in Turkey about aqua product. Histamine is chemical hazard. It is controlled by government raw material entrance. If you find CCP, you should ask that question “what is the hazard? (chemical, biological, physical) , what is the risk? what is the limit? Is it limits decrease on this step? If your answer is no, you find your CCP.

HACCP is important for Ministery of Agriculture in Turkey. It is written at instructions about histamine on different steps; raw material control, washing and thawing. But first steps is important and it could be CCP.

4 Likes

Raw fish reception section is ccp . FAO haccp guides also indicate reception section is ccp for histamine.
After sterilisation ör sterilisation process is not fisible for ccp in New ISO 22000 standard. İt can be depend on Technology.
Another control action can be the label data as a recomendation " don’t consump together with yoghurt"

2 Likes

At:

• reception (controlled by the limits of histamine stated by law). Corrective action would be reject the batch since you cannnot reduce the level of histamine after this step
    -storage of the raw product (controlled by the temperature of your cold room). You have to look for the appropiate temperature to reduce the production of histamine, and then you can set the critical limit according to that temperature. Stablish a surveillance program for the cold room, and corrective actions if the temperature of the cold room is above the critical limit for certain time.

You are right , reception is ccp for histamine. Haccp means preventive measure not corective measures

Yes I agree HACCP is for prevention, but when you monitorize the CCP, in case of critical limit breach, you have to apply the previously defined corrective action to get back to normal