Extrusion with single screw extruder of high protein and high fiber puffed chips

Hello,
I am trying to develop puffed chips with single screw extruder by using the following ingredients: 20% pea protein isolate 80%, 36.5% tapioca flour, 11.5% spent grain flour, 1% alginate, 1% glucomannan, 15% sunflower oil and 15% water.
So far this combination seem to not on the feeder but the product does not expand. The extruder i am using has 4 zones of heating and i am using the combination of (100C 1st zone,140C 2nd zone,120C 3rd zone and 100C die zone). Also the max speed is 250 rpm.
Does anyone know a more optimum combination of temperature i could use?

Thanks in advace! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try reducing the sunflower oil to 5% and 0 and see the difference.

1 Like

What makes the extruded products expand is the starch and never the protein and excess fiber and fat.

2 Likes

dont you think that the moisture content is a lot? i add 15% of water in the dough and the overall is aproximatelly 19-20%

1 Like

Back read my post…factors that inhibit expansion, during extrusion cooking ,high proteins, fat and fiber contents …Keep that in mind…
You should study the principles and technology of extrusion cooking
The effect of ingredients during tte extrusion process.
You are acting like a blind fellow just guessing on what youre doing playing with coins if its comes out head or tails…:joy:
…

1 Like

Hi Eric,
It is quite possible to make textured artifices on a single screw extruder. However, the texturization of the proteins requires a high shear extrusion environment.
Can you tell us what the screw profile looks like? Or can you and photos of the screw.

1 Like

I know that high protein and fiber content are factors that inhibit the expansion of extrudates, but as i have seen so far increase of the oil content affects positively thet expansion.
Also part of the ingredients in the added water and overall moisture content.

1 Like

Hi Frank, i dont have know available the exact specification of the screw, what i can tell you is that is a solid shaft without mixing zones.

1 Like