Chocolate donuts

Hi there, first time using this platform, so I hope I am not doing so inappropriately!
Anyway, I have a question regarding baking: I see a lot of chocolate cake donuts (which makes sense, chocolate cake is a thing, so presumably just shape it and cook it differently), but how come I’ve never seen chocolate yeast donuts?
Not chocolate topped/filled/etc., but the base dough being chocolatey? Do I just live in some unfortunate place where that’s not available or is there more of a food science/theory behind why this doesn’t work?

Having worked in Donut R&D in the 1990s, the presence of cocoa or chocolate in the dough affects the yeast raised donut volume and texture which also affects the appearance ,and the eating qualities.
Yeast raised donut are supposed to be light , tender eating, with moist texture. that other consumers say " has melt in the mouth" quality in really well made donuts…
The presence of cocoa solids detracts it making it impractical to include in the donut mix dough…i

2 Likes

It is possible that chocolate yeast donuts are not as common as chocolate cake donuts because yeast doughs and cake doughs have different properties, and chocolate may not be as compatible with the yeast dough as it is with cake dough.

Yeast doughs rely on the fermentation of yeast to produce carbon dioxide, which causes the dough to rise. The yeast consumes sugars in the dough and produces alcohol and carbon dioxide as byproducts. However, chocolate can inhibit the growth of yeast and may affect the fermentation process, which could make it difficult to achieve the desired rise and texture in the dough.

On the other hand, cake doughs rely on chemical leaveners such as baking powder or baking soda to produce carbon dioxide, which causes the dough to rise. Chocolate is more compatible with cake doughs and can add flavour and richness to the dough.

Additionally, chocolate yeast dough may not have the same taste appeal as chocolate cake dough. Yeast doughs have a distinct taste and texture which may not go well with chocolate.

That being said, it is not impossible to make chocolate yeast doughnuts, it just requires certain adjustments and experimentation to the recipe and technique. It would be best to consult with professional bakers or food scientists for more detailed guidance on how to create a chocolate yeast doughnut that has the desired texture and tast

2 Likes

T
@prashant_chavan Thats an academic discussion you had there, irrelevant to the actual effect of cocoa soluds in yeast raised donut dough.

Do you really had experimental and practical experiences with such work to guarantee your statements?.

3 Likes

Unfortunately not

1 Like