Can you share what do you think about monosodium glutamate (MSG)

can you share what you know about monosodium glutamate (MSG) thanks

1 Like

Hello. Typically when it is added to a product the purpose is flavor enhancement. I have had people complain that they have reacted to it (Much as if it was an allergen) however I haven’t ever had a reaction myself. I have had people claim to react to it when it wasn’t used so I am somewhat of a skeptic. If you do your own experiment you will find that it does enhance flavors however in many cases I think it is over used, or not necessary.

5 Likes

Hello everyone
Hope you are doing well!
MSG is flavor enhancer actually, should be used in just lil qts cz overdoses are allergenic to some beings. It’s use is banned here in Pakistan due to it’s deliterious health effects.
On the otherhand if you are working on seasoning development it’s quite helpful in that case.

3 Likes

thank you for the information @Ali_hassan

thank you for the information @Andrew

1 Like

Monosodium Glutamate was widely used in Hospitality industry in Chinese & Thai cuisine & known as a Ajinomoto in Hospitality industry & 99.9%pure salt and most injurious to health for regular user. It increase Blood pressure and studies shows that also increase chances of Heart attacks. Now almost Banned in Hospitality industry world wide.

1 Like

MSG It is used to highlight the flavor of foods.
Especially in the foreground when it is used in snack products, it is mainly used in recycled foods. Despite the smell of peroxide deterioration in the packaged sunflower seeds, this additive provides more consumption when the consumer starts to consume.

3 Likes

Mono sodium glutamate is taste enhancer, sometimes it naturally developed in food and some times intentionally add into a product to enhance flavour.

4 Likes

thank you for the information @dpksharma2000 @alicardak @Sukhi84

Yes, i have the same view point as everyone mentioned here.
Glutamic acid is naturally present in mushrooms and some other foods. Glutamates are neurotransmitters to brain. It is sold as crystalline powder in the market.
Additionally its use in some of the Asian countries are with no restriction i would say because its used extensively in food courts and eating places. With the kind of cooking followed during stir frying, or even laksa preparation, the flavour is for sure coming from MSG. However there are also countries in Asia, where MSG is totally out from their cooking system or even in hotels or food stalls.
Now the good thing is: packed foods also have the label stated for the presence of MSG, giving us the choice to choose or note.
A question that finally pops up: Is MSG safe if consumed on a daily basis? Any data if you have come across will be interesting to share here. Thanks

1 Like

The interesting thing about MSG is it is found in all the taste enhancing ingredients we use to enhance our meals anyhow like in Cheese, Mushroom and tomato and in seaweed. Although I believe these are at lower levels than we use in seasonings. To experience the effect make a seasoning with it and one without it and the difference is noticeable immediately.

1 Like

@waynevannieuwenh - hi, sharing some details for bite size reading,
@anonimUser01

1 Like

MSG doesn’t give its actual flavour in absence of salt.

1 Like

Salt reduction and removal of MSG is a challenge agreed in snack industry.

Salt reduction can be done using salt substitute that contains less sodium salt ,but also contains potassium, calcium and magnesium salts ( the salt extracted from Dead Sea) .
MSG can be replaced by yeast extracts and HVP…
The caveat ,the replacement cost a lot more than salt and MSG.

2 Likes

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein is obtained from soy, wheat or corn boiled with hydrochloric acid…
And is there any reason why HVP is probably less used than MSG.
Is it because of the lesser availability of HVP.
Yeast extract also generate some off-flavour, so can such combinations work always, or any other advantages (other than labeling to say ‘no MSG’).
thanks

1 Like

HVP contribute own taste depending upon the simulated meat taste it was formulated or to be used with.i.e HVP for beef is different for HVP for pork seasonings,there are even specific HVP for a particular cooked meat taste such as for roast beef.
Yeast Extracts for seasonings are specially formulated and like HVP tries to mimic and compliment meat flavors…
To substitute for MSG the amount is higher in replacement .The formulation of MSG free seasoning is a specialized skill where you need a library of different yeast extracts and HVP along with some nucleotides.
Futher as I mentioned in my previous post , replacements are expensive.

3 Likes