Processing of frozen potato chips

Hello guys i need your help,
I have been making potato chips for about a year now, my processing goes as follows.
After peeling and slicing of chips, i blanch them, them cool with ice water, dewatering and fast freezing after that packaging.
But i have been experiencing problems after freezing for sometimes the chips get stack together and when thaw they shrink.
Kindly help me with your opinions.

2 Likes

Which technique use for dewatering ? Hydro machine is not suitable for those ’ please use Air knife for reduce surface moisture & which type freeze u use ? Continous IQF freeze use please .

Mainly Low to high Spped belt & iqf & surface moisture need to Monitoring for solutions ur problem. 8158005870 please call me for better discussion

1 Like

I am using normal freezer

1 Like
  1. Chips sticking together after freezing:
  • Make sure the chips are fully dried before freezing. Any residual moisture can cause the chips to stick together. You may want to try drying them for a longer time or using a centrifuge to remove excess water.

• Separate the chips before freezing. If the chips are placed too close together before freezing, they can freeze together. Try spreading them out more thinly on the trays or using a different freezing method that allows for more airflow.

• Consider using an anti-caking agent. Some commercial potato chip producers use an anti-caking agent to prevent chips from sticking together. You can try using a food-grade anti-caking agent like corn starch or rice flour.

1. Chips shrinking upon thawing:
  • Make sure the chips are fully dried before freezing. Any residual moisture can cause the chips to shrink when they are thawed. Again, you may want to try drying them for a longer time or using a centrifuge to remove excess water.

• Consider using a different freezing method. If the chips are frozen too quickly or at too low of a temperature, they can undergo “cold shock” which can cause them to shrink. Try using a slower freezing method or adjusting the temperature of your freezer.

• Avoid thawing and refreezing the chips. Each time the chips are thawed and refrozen, they can lose moisture and become more prone to shrinking

2 Likes

Thank you for the good advice, but could you elaborate more on how i would apply the ant caking agents you just mentioned.
Is there like a preparation procedures and application methodology?

2 Likes

The potato chips are typically made by slicing potatoes thinly and frying them in oil until they are crispy. After frying, the chips are drained of excess oil and seasoned with salt or other flavorings. At this point, the chips are still warm and can stick together if they are not separated quickly. The anti-caking agent is applied to the chips to prevent this from happening.

In addition to silicone spray, other anti-caking agents that may be used in potato chip production include cellulose powder, calcium silicate, and magnesium carbonate. These agents work in a similar way to silicone spray by absorbing excess moisture and creating a barrier between particles.

2 Likes