New challenges for food engineers

Have you got any list of challenges to be solved in food production, food preservation, food technology, food science, packaging etc.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from New challenges for food engineers:

I think we should still need to develop some techni to preserve the fresh meat in cheap price . . Maintain the low temperature 24 hrs made the the storeage costing more. The country like nepal have high electric bill rate. For also transportation we have to hire Cooler van

2 Likes

Ä° understand challenges vary in diffirent countries, and sectores. The faculty proffeseurs and all engineers should make a list so it may be in the list to be solved.
For example ;
Shelf life category
How to prolong shelf life of parsley, oneons, potatoes…
Feeding category
How to produce a bread which has proteins, vitamins, minerals, essential oils…

Challenges: Maillard reaction in microwave process, Retrogradation in fresh bread, preservatives using natural products (garlac, rosemary,harpsichord) without after taste… lol

1 Like

Microwave heating will never be unable to promote Maillards Reaction and it should be used with dry heating situations that promotes such mentioned browning effect.
Now for bread to slow down retrogradation, the addition of bacterial.amylase ensure that your bread remain soft even for months as long it packed in modified atmosphere packaging
For bread with enrichment it was already implemented since the late 1940s.in certaincountries .The nutribun program.with large enrichment in protein and other nutrients were already done in developing countries since the 1970s…

2 Likes

I think that microwave heating is too fast to develop Maillard reaction, besides that it depends on the food composition, because it need the right substances for this reaction.
Any enzyms can slow down the retrogradition but can’t solve it.

1 Like

@karen.csalves,
You don’t add enzymes to eliminate starch retrogradation but to slow it down .These biocatalysts are already added in the food substrate while the starch is still in its raw or native state…
As these agents are selected due to their stability to heat treatment (like in the manufacturer of bakery products )They starts to act once the product is already cooled down,packed and undergoing storage.

I guess many industries and faculty are working in this direction - especially the shelf life category / different types of packaging , MAP & others, biofilms etc etc.
I am not sure what you meant by feeding category, and waste materials are currently being used for new food product development such as crackers from okara.
The most interesting thing would be a day when our breads can have a longer shelf life than it is now. Bread is the food of common man and it is also now fortified with vitamins, minerals and great improvement with regard to low GI bread, multigrains, nuts/fruits added ones etc etc… So we can expect more variety over the years.
In many countries food transportation has moved up in terms of temperature monitoring especially for frozen /chilled items transported in lower temp freezers. This is one area that see more of sensors being installed, digitally monitored with AI input etc etc

1 Like

There are actually long shelf life bread with 1year expiry from production date…Often this in the shape of filled croissants which abounds in grocery stores…There are also frozen dough and bread . .The military had their own canned bread with a shelf life of at least 2 years IIRC,

2 Likes

Roy mentioned frozen dough. I believe this to become more important as satellite bakeries are here to stay for convenience. I would like more info regarding this as a topic

1 Like

What about adding esopolisaccharides to the dough? Their presence in sourdough helps with the loss of water in bread. I don’t know which point the research is, though.

Not esopolysaccharides but exopolysaccharides(EPS)…studies have shown that adding little amount of EPS …say 0.25 to 0.5 % increased volume by 10% and reduced crumb firming by 30%.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0023643820303649