Maximum level Vitamins C & D in flavored water

Hello colleagues,

Could you help please with the maximum limit of vitamin C and vitamin D allowed in flavoured Water ?

Your support highly appreciated.
Ehab

1 Like

Hi Ehabalm

It really depends on the region in which the product will be supplied, for example Ascorbic acid has no limitations in beverages in the EU and UK.

Where are you looking to supply this beverage?

2 Likes

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot dear. Supply to GCC region.

You may find this useful:
Search your keywords within the pdf, I cannot find anything that suggests there is even a limit for flavoured water.

1 Like

Vitamin D will definitely have some form of limit though, as I recall there is such a thing as having too much! :smile:

Here are the GCC standards: https://members.wto.org/crnattachments/2018/TBT/SAU/18_5864_00_e.pdf

1 Like

Many thank. Highly appreciated Tom😊

1 Like

Dear Ehab,

A good indication is one of the major bottlers in that region. Ie Coca Cola or PepsiCo brand. They would have that region food law built into their label. Both those ingredients would be on the label. Only thing is you should have access to these region products The Gulf region document is a great source too. Taste is the most important and a guideline for amount used.

1 Like

Yes wayne it will help but i couldn’t reach a standard which has a definition of flavoured or fortified water. for which legislations shall we refer to when adding Vitamin to flavoured water ? Still ambiguous. May be flavoured water comes under beverages category.
The above standard Tom mentioned is for food labeling and contain RDA only. Is it Ok to use as a reference standard.

Hi Ehab
The most common rule worldwide is that, for being accepted as a food, the maximum nutritional content must be 100% of the RDI.
Above 100% it is considered supplement
Best

2 Likes

Crystal Clear Mr. Alberto.
Thanks all😀

Thank you so much for the info.
Would you mind explaining a few more details (i) 100% RDI of that vitamin or mineral should be present in a food? Is that really possible always
(ii) sometimes RDI varies with regard to age, and if its a food for people of all ages, how is this managed to remain within the limits.
Thank you very much

1 Like

RDA adult is 65-90mg average. A good source is the EFSA Europe document Ascorbic acid in mineral water and minerals.

2 Likes

and this is also very useful.

2 Likes