Low-methoxyl pectin gelatin

Hello everyone!

I have been working in the prototype development of a vegan gummy candy. I am using low methoxyl pectin, with calcium propionate and/or guar gum but I cannot form any gel!! Any expert who can help me please!!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

would you mind explaining why calcium propionate is used.
thank you

Low methoxyl pectin produces fragile gel and needs soluble calcium ions to gel properly. High sugar contents inhibits gel formation. You want a stronger gel add little amount of locust bean gum as they are synergistic.BTW, are you using calcium propionate as supplier of calcium ions or as preservative?

Hi! Thanks for your message! I read about using 1) Tricalcium citrate tetrahydrate, 2) Calcium lactate pentahydrate and 3) Calcium chloride dihydrate, but none of the suppliers I contacted had any of these. Hence I tried with propionate because is widely available and cheap, but not I am wondering if it suits or not.

Hi! Thanks for your message!!

I am using calcium propionate as supplier of calcium irons :l but now I am wondering if it does work… read about using 1) Tricalcium citrate tetrahydrate, 2) Calcium lactate pentahydrate and 3) Calcium chloride dihydrate, but none of the suppliers I contacted had any of these…

Calcium propionate is slightly acidic pH 5.5 so it will offset the setting character of the hydrocolloids.

1 Like

Hi, would be good to check with Corbion on the availability of your desired calcium salts.
Calcium chloride and few related salts are used by tofu industry, so definitely such chemicals are available in bulk. Have a check