How to get plasticity texture on Vegan butter?

Hi everyone!

I am trying to make a vegan butter with coconut oil as the base, and I found that as the butter emulsion crystalizes and stays in the cold temperature, it will turn rock solid instead of soft and spreadable (like margarine plasticity texture).

I have a stable emulsion in my system, so I am guessing that it has to do with the crystallization process of the fat. Does anyone know how the margarine crystallizer works to make that plastic texture? can I apply the same process to my vegan butter? or is there any suggestion for a better way to crystalize my vegan butteremulsion better?

Margarine is an emulsion of vegetable oil, hard far, milk, lecithin, water and salt.
It is then plasticized in a sort of a chilled scraped surface to simulate crystallization. The machine is commonly called a Votator .
You can simulate that in a home ice cream machine
You want tool at a practical large scale or Industrial method Then read books of fats and oils processing in particular margarine production.
The web also had numerous articles about Margarine processing.

2 Likes

AMAZING!
Thank you so much for your advice.

I tried with the ice cream machine, but the emulsion crystalized really fast that the scraper stuck and stop moving. as the result the side/surface is fully crystalized really hard.

1 Like

You may have used too much hard fat and less of liquid fat in your formulation,…
It should not solidify in the ice cream maker but have a consistency of a thick gravy that flows ,never harden like rock…

Hey Roy, thank you for your respond!

YES, for a spreadable butter it is possible. but I need to add that much hard fat because I am aiming for stable stick butter at room temp. I guess I need a better scrape surface heat exchanger that can scrape as soon as it crystalized.

Look mostvl shortening and margarine that are packed in tubs had that thick flow able liquid consistency that emanates from the votator which gradually solidify on standing.
You should review margarine processing and look carefully the ratio of hard fat and oil as reference to your project. Take into consideration the processing parameters…
You can ask help from a local margarine manufacturer if they have a pilot plant facility that you rent and can run your trials.

Great! That is really helpful, Thank you so much for your advice. I will try it!