Goat Milk: Why it’s rarely found in dry powder?

Cow and its products were not originally from the Middle East region which relied mainly on goat for the milk and sheep for the meat.
Bovine were introduced as a cheaper and more versatile alternative that could be easily industralized in a region still not ready for the fresh liquid milk. That’s where powder milk entered a market looking for long lasting product life with no need for refrigeration.
Recently, there was a high demand for goat products from people with lactose intolerance, indigestion, allergies and when they knew that almond milk was not really milk.
Last year i asked one goat farmer about the possibility of producing goat powder milk, he bluntly said “we don’t produce enough milk to do that”

That’s surprising… Goat milk contains about 20% less lactose if compared to cows milk. Then how.can lactose intolerant people can consume it…?
Is there any scientific evidence to back it up or its purely anecdotal experience from.few people with mild lactose intolerance affliction? .

1 Like

That’s what the topic is about.
Sharing scientific findings about goat milk.

Actually there are some manufacturers of goat milk powder…

2 Likes

In most countries, goat milk is a highly sort item. It is possible to sell goat milk within the region where it is produced. I have come across local villagers who sell it within their area itself. household raring of goat was practiced in many such villages, where by the milk is sold out to the customers/ neighbours.
We do have a dairy farm in the country where I live, and goats milk (pasteurized and refrigerated) is available to a limited extend in our market.
Most probably I would think the production of goats milk is not so huge enough, and the need to make it in powder form is also less. If someone need milk powder, a variety of cows milk powder / Brand’s are already there in the market. Hence the specific need for goat milk powder haven’t reached to a ‘requirement’ or need.

1 Like