Effect of vacuum frying process on some physico- chemical properties of jack fruit chips

Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus L.) is nutritious, poor man’s fruit, rich in vitamins and minerals, mostly consumed as a fresh fruit. The jackfruit bulb can be used for preparation of value added products.

Jackfruit chips, a popular snack, prepared by deep fat frying of matured, unripe jackfruit bulb fingers at different vacuum pressure. The quality of chips mainly depends on crispiness. It is the most important quality parameter of chips and is mainly depends on frying temperature, time and variety of fruit. Fully matured, unripe and deseeded jackfruit bulbs were cut into approximately 15×4 mm by using jackfruit cutting machine and were fried at different vacuum levels using refined sunflower oil at three different temperature and time such as 80, 90 and 100 °C for 15, 20 and 25 minutes respectively.

The processed jackfruit chips were studied with the full factorial design (FFD). Results showed that the chips out-turn, oil absorption by chips and physicochemical characteristics like tristimulus color, and crispiness of fried jackfruit chips were significantly related to vacuum level, frying temperature and time. The results indicate that colour and crispiness were significantly correlated with frying temperature, time and vacuum level. The optimum conditions for the vacuum frying of jackfruit bulbs were found to be 400 mm Hg, 90 °C and 20 minutes, for frying of vacuum level, temperature and time, respectively.

5 Likes

@Nagarathna_S_B thanks for contribute. Can you share source of this article ?

1 Like

thank u for your article@ Nagarathna . can i have a full length paper.
My mail id [email protected]
presently pursuing Ph.D in post harvest technology

1 Like

Sure… i ll mail you…

1 Like

Nice work done . Plz share pull article to [email protected]

Please share at [email protected]

any information about jackfruit product please share