Dry Roasted Flavoured Cashew Nuts

My team and I have developed honey mustard dry roasted cashew nuts, the recipe is as mentioned below, but we are facing a big problem - that after the roasting and cooling of the nuts is finished our product catches moisture very quickly when left in the open (within 10 minutes) and gets spoiled, thus this gives us very little time to do the packaging and we have no choice but to leave the product in the open for sometime at least to be able to do the packaging thus we are stuck and can’t seem to find a solution.

PER 100 GRAM BATCH
Cashew nuts - 92 grams
Seasoning powder - 14 grams (pre mixed with maltodextrin)
Regular corn starch - 2 grams
Water - 4ml
Roasting time and temperature - 100 degree celsius for 3 hours

Kindly advise whats the best way to go about this and prevent the nuts from becoming moist and soggy very easily and quickly.

Thank you.

1 Like

hi,

main problem seems as maltodextrin.

try seasoning powder without it, it absorbs water from the air and get it very sticky quickly.

and try gum arabic as sticky agent.

1 Like

and if it is possible share a process video or images with us. this can help us to understand problem.

2 Likes

All the experts have replied that you are recipe related; And it’s correct also, that’s right about maltodextrin etc. etc.; But I would suggest you make controlled environmental conditions i.e. The relative humidity must be under 40%, that’s the main secret big food manufacturers are using during packaging. Once the %RH Is more than 40%, the products will catch moisture which is available in your factory’s environment.

4 Likes

Indeed,the packaging atea should have low RH…pretty standard,

1 Like

hi,
have you tried removing air quickly, vacuming ? we are using using similar seasoning flavors, but it still fresh and crunchy or choose another carrier. best of luck

Hello, if you use cotton bags for cooling immediately after roasting, without changing the contents, you will prevent the roasted product from rubbing during the not too large cooling. It should remain in these sacks until packaging time. However, this period should not be too long.