Antioxidants in minimally processed vegetables

Hi guys… I am preparing some minimally processed vegetables and I have a doubt relating with the use of the antioxidants. Can anyone help me to know if after applying the antioxidants is it necessary to rinse them with water before the centrifugation ?

not clear when you say you want to use antioxidants - is that an extract in powder form?
And rinsing what?

thank you for your observation, antioxidants are in powder form, I am using citric acid and abscorbic acid. I mean rinse the vegetables with water after I apply the antioxidants, or do I just dry them and pack them without removing with water the acids. Sorry for my English is not my maternal language. :slight_smile:

No worries Reb…
I would think this is not AO improvement.
Probably just increasing the shelf life of the vegetables.
Or are they cut vegetables that is being packed for ready to cook form?
Ofcourse you have to rinse and clean vegetables before any procedures.

So from what you also said about removing with water - i would think dry form is what you are packing and moisture might have oozed with time (during its storage and with number of days). Anyways a dry format is always good and not with water.

Again not sure what’s the point of doing this? Anymore details please explain.

May I know your main purpose in adding oxidants to fresh vegetables?

1 Like

Exactly what I need is to increase the shelf life. Of course we clean and sanitize them very carefully, the only change we are doing is to add ascorbic acid and citric acid because in the country we live, is very very hot and in the place we are working doesn’t have air conditioning . My question was if after dipping the vegetables in the water with the dissolution of these two antioxidants (together in low quantities have better results according to the literature) do I need to remove them with water and then dry them or do I directly just dry them and pack them? I don’t know if I am making myself clear. Buy thank your for support.

Hi, we would like to add antioxidants (not oxidants) ascorbic acid and citric acid, and they are not exactly fresh vegetables they are in the minimally processed category. It’s because the place we are processing these vegetables has high temperatures (32 - 36° C), the cars and the process area don’t have air conditioning, they are transported in coolers, so of course the shelf life is very short and it is A necessity to increase it.

Ohh geez my self correct keyboard gone awry again…Sorry about that… :slightly_smiling_face:

Minimally processed vegetable should pretreatment
by washing in 200ppm.chlorine, some use ozone water, other acidified sodium. Chlorite, To remove pathogens…iOthers use dilute acetic acid ,citric acid… as pretreatment.
You can read the book " Minimally Processed Refrigerated Fruits and Vegetables" . by Fatih Yildiz and Robert C wiley …It has both hard copy in food science library and download version.( Ebook)

Please check it out
Antioxidants won’t help prolong shelf fife …Of such highly perishable fresh veggies…Refrigeration and Freezing would help…as well as some formof modified atmosphere packaging…

Thank you Roy for this information, I will search this book today, !!

Please try calcium Lactate as a processing aid on cut vegetables.

Sodium ascorbate can also work as an antioxidant.

A slight Acetic acid can also be used alongside citric acid for Ph surface adjustment.

1 Like

now a days lactate salts and organic acids for all sorts of similar application. Give a try on various suggestions given here and those are good approaches. Best wishes

1 Like

Hi, thanks, do you have any sugestions in the concentrations? Is it necessary to remove with water after the application?

Hello!! Do these salts are added after or before the antioxidants? Do I need to rinse the vegetables with water and then dry them or can I just dry them and pack them? I am not clear in that part of the process !! Thanks!!:slight_smile:

hi, Please read the above comments… i guess you are in a hurry, and not really reading and getting to understand things correctly.

1 Like